|TODAY IN MALTESE HISTORY|
|Produced exclusively for aboutmalta.com by Mario Axiaq |
Contributors: Martin Debattista, Lorraine Duca, Pierre J. Mejlak, Darrell Pace, Amante Sant, Toni Sant
Contact us with your suggestions and comments.
|On this day in history ...|
- 1954 - Air display from the aircraft carrier HMS Falcon.
- 1962 - Earth tremors felt in Malta.
- 1962 - A group of 51 emigrants leaves Malta for Australia by air.
- 1963 - The cruise liner Cabo San Vincente arrives for a 7-hour stay with 300 Spanish and Italian tourists on board.
- 1969 - Underwater house at Cirkewwa wrecked by heavy seas.
- 1971 - A Russian and a Liberian tanker enter Malta Drydocks for repairs.
- 1972 - The Government Trade School in Senglea is opened.
- 1974 - A parlamentary delegation leaves for Sri Lanka to attend the Commonwealth Parlamentary Conference.
- 1974 - The Duty Free Shop opens at Luqa Airport.
- 1975 - The Tariq, a second patrol boat, is loaned to Malta by Libya.
- 1976 - End of nomination period for the upcoming General Elections; 226 candidates have been registered - 109 for the Malta Labour Party, 115 for the Nationalist Party, and two Independents.
- 1977 - The band of the 3rd Bersalieri of the Italian Army holds a parade in Valletta.
- 1981 - New Dejma recruits attached to 2nd Regiment Armed Forces Malta inspected by Prime Minister Mintoff on the passing out parade at Safi Barracks.
- 1987 - An official Maltese delegation visits Ankara in Turkey for talks to review the bilateral commercial agreement which expired last year.
- 1989 - Members of the Ballet Classique de Paris visit Malta.
- 1996 - It is announced that more than Lm2 million is being spent on new modern equipment to prepare the armed forces for the 21th century.
- 1997 - The UHM calls a strike at the Malta Freeport after the company announces the loss of two of its most important clients.
- 2000 - Consultants recommend that lightweight shelters be installed over Malta megalithic temples to protect them from the elements.
|Famous birthdays for this day ...|
- 1870 - Carmelo Mamo, Trade Unionist
- 1925 - Francis Ebejer, Writer/Educator
- 1929 - Pawlu Aquilina, Poet
- 1934 - Bryan A. Gera, Company Director
- 1956 - Censu Galea, Politician, (P.N. MP: 1981-Present)
- 1976 - Pierre Aquilina, Footballer (Malta/Pieta Hotspurs)
|Famous deaths for this day ...|
- 1928 - Filippo Sciberras, Patriot, dies at 78
- 1972 - Edgar Cuschieri, Civil Servant, dies at 67
- 2005 - Harry Edwards, Footballer, dies at 91