|TODAY IN MALTESE HISTORY|
|Produced exclusively for aboutmalta.com by Mario Axiaq |
Contributors: Martin Debattista, Lorraine Duca, Pierre J. Mejlak, Darrell Pace, Amante Sant, Toni Sant
Contact us with your suggestions and comments.
|On this day in history ...|
- 1949 - The Malta Union of Teachers is established on this day.
- 1968 - Emigrants' Mission House opens in London.
- 1970 - The Hotel Preluna is officially opened; at 13 storeys it is the highest commercial building in the country.
- 1971 - William Scicluna is appointed Director of Ports, following the separation of the Departiment of Customs and Port into two departments.
- 1972 - Prime Minister Mintoff addresses trade unionists at a one-hour meeting at the Palace in Valletta.
- 1973 - Work is under way for the annual "Flower Week" in Kingsway, Valletta.
- 1978 - Three youths, two from Kirkop and one from Zurrieq, appear in court charged with the murder and robbery of 71-year-old Carmela Abdilla from Zurrieq.
- 1983 - Prime Minister Mintoff meets Nationalist Party and Opposition Leader Fenech Adami at his residence in Tarxien; no official comments are made by either party or government sources.
- 1983 - Archbishop Mercieca signs documentation, in conclusion of informative process, for the beatification of Dun Gorg Preca, founder of M.U.S.E.U.M.
- 1983 - Air Malta wins award for Best Colour Press Advertisement and award for Best Black and White Press Advertisement in the United Kingdom Institute of Marketing's Travel Industry Group Advertising Awards.
- 1991 - Minister for Econimic Affairs John Dalli announces that the Soviet Union owes Malta Lm 10.6m for goods and ships.
- 1999 - Talks between the Government and the unions on the Mid-Med share sale issue result in a draft agreement that guarantees jobs.
|Famous birthdays for this day ...|
- 1839 - Antonio Emanuele Caruana, Philologist
- 1907 - Walter Ganado, Professor of Medicine
- 1914 - Edward Coleiro, Professor of Latin
- 1941 - Charles Mifsud, Composer
- 1943 - Freddie Grixti, Waterpolo Player/Coach (Neptunes)
- 1958 - Andrew Diacono, Artist
- 1963 - Philysianne Brincat, Singer
- 1972 - Wilfred Spiteri, Footballer (Hibernians)
|Famous deaths for this day ...|
-  - None recorded today