|TODAY IN MALTESE HISTORY|
|Produced exclusively for aboutmalta.com by Mario Axiaq |
Contributors: Martin Debattista, Lorraine Duca, Pierre J. Mejlak, Darrell Pace, Amante Sant, Toni Sant
Contact us with your suggestions and comments.
|On this day in history ...|
- 1963 - A housing cooperative scheme for Maltese Emigrants in Australia is announced.
- 1967 - Royal Air Force Malta Sailing Clubhouse officially opened at Marsaxlokk Bay.
- 1968 - Umberto, former king of Italy, arrives in Malta on a private visit.
- 1970 - Malta appoints a consul in Beirut.
- 1971 - The Teen and Twenties Trust start a cleaning campaign at Lija. 19730902
- 1974 - The Orchestra Franz Liszt of Budapest gives a Concert at the Manoel Theatre in Valletta.
- 1976 - Malta Labour Party Club at Kirkop damaged by a bomb.
- 1979 - A memorial service is held at St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral in Valletta for the Earl Mountbatten of Burma.
- 1980 - Colonel Gaddhafi speaking in Tripoli says there is no question on splitting the distance between Malta and Libya in equal halves for oil exploration purposes.
- 1981 - Work starts at Marfa on the laying of a 4.4 Km long electricity cable between Malta and Gozo.
- 1981 - The Nationalist Party Opposition stays away from the house of representatives as the Budget for 1982 is presented by Finance Minister presented by Joseph Cassar.
- 1982 - Silver Jubilee celebrations of the consecration of the Senglea Basilica which was rebuilt after the WWII.
- 1984 - Following the recital of the Sunday Angelus in St. Peter's Square in Rome, Pope John Paul II speaking in English asks his audience to "Pray for Malta and for its Church Schools".
- 1986 - Archbishop Mercieca leaves on pastoral visit to Australia.
- 1987 - Foreign Affairs Minister Guido DeMarco returns from a one-day visit in Libya where he was among those chosen by Libyan leader Gaddhafi to discuss international political affairs.
- 1992 - Prime Minister Fenech Adami says he sees Gozo as a showcase for the country's progress, during at a public meeting in Xewkija.
- 1994 - Regulations regarding the introduction of VAT published in the Government Gazette.
- 1996 - Bank of Valletta and MUBE clash over the proposed new working hours for the staff.
- 1997 - Central Bank confirms that counterfeit Lm10 notes are in circulation, and the public should report such notes immediately.
- 1998 - Prime Minister Alfred Sant says that the right balance has been struck between hunters' needs and environmental protection.
- 1999 - The Central Office of Statistics reports that the trade gap has narrowed by Lm 4.3 million in the last seven months of 1999.
- 2000 - Lino Spiteri names the former MLP officials who knew about the 1992 vote rigging in the elections for party leader.
|Famous birthdays for this day ...|
- 1887 - Censu Bugeja, Journalist
- 1929 - Johnny Alamango, Goalkeeper (Floriana/Malta 1952-1967)
- 1945 - Edward Aquilina, Footballer/Coach (Sliema Wanderers/Malta 1960-1979)
- 1953 - Philip Farrugia, Footballer (Zebbug Rangers 1967-1985)
- 1954 - Ray Bugeja, Radio DJ
- 1969 - Pierre Portelli, Journalist/Presenter (Net TV)
|Famous deaths for this day ...|
- 1945 - Robert E.Hamilton, Politician, dies at 51
- 1993 - Roger Oscar Parnis, Surgeon, dies at 70