|TODAY IN MALTESE HISTORY|
|Produced exclusively for aboutmalta.com by Mario Axiaq |
Contributors: Martin Debattista, Lorraine Duca, Pierre J. Mejlak, Darrell Pace, Amante Sant, Toni Sant
Contact us with your suggestions and comments.
|On this day in history ...|
- 1963 - Requiem Mass is held at St John's Co-Cathedral for US President John F. Kennedy, assassinated last week.
- 1968 - Government considering interest-free loans for exporters hit by U.K. import deposit scheme.
- 1969 - New changes in the Mass as from today following regulations brought forth by the Vatican Council II.
- 1971 - Poland signs a trade agreement with the Malta Government.
- 1973 - Air Malta officials return from working visits to New Zealand, Pakistian and London.
- 1975 - West Germany and Malta ratify a protection of investments agreement.
- 1976 - Vicar General Joseph Mercieca is nominated Archbishop of Malta in succession to Archbishop Gonzi.
- 1979 - Malta and Indonesia establish diplomatic relations at ambassadorial level.
- 1980 - Church collections during Sunday Masses for Italian earthquake victims amount to over Lm68,000.
- 1982 - An official Ethiopian delegation led by Foreign Affairs Minister Feleke Giorgis leaves Malta after agreeing to establish diplomatic relations and to co-operate in trade, economic, technical and cultural fields.
- 1983 - Malta's first participation in the World Travel Market fair at Olympia Hall in London is coordinated by an official delegation lead by Tourism Minister Joe Grima.
- 1983 - Friends of the Cathedral Museum commemorate 150th anniversary of the death of Count Saverio Marchese, founder of the museum's collections.
- 1986 - A Nationalist Party mass meeting at Zejtun is called off following violent incidents aimed at preventing supporters from reaching place of meeting.
- 1987 - RAI TG3 interviews Prime Minister Fenech Adami during a visit to Sicily.
- 1988 - Finance Minister George Bonello du Puis presents the Budget for 1989.
- 1991 - A National Seminar on the White Paper on proposed changes to the family law "Equal Partners in Marriage" is organised by the Ministry of Social Policy.
- 1998 - UHM calls for action against tax evasion.
- 1999 - The Meteorological Office at the Malta International Airport says that this November has been the wettest month ever.
|Famous birthdays for this day ...|
- 1958 - Simon Buhagiar, Actor
- 1960 - Michael Laus, National Orchestra Director
- 1964 - Patrick Zammit, Footballer (Balzan/Mosta/Lija/Qormi/Sirens: 1980-present)
- 1967 - David Muscat, Footballer (Sirens: 1980-present)
- 1969 - Christopher Agius, Footballer (San Gwann: 1991-present)
- 1978 - Daniel Mangion, Footballer (Gudja Utd/Pieta Hotspurs/Sta Venera: 1993-present)
- 1983 - Clifford D'Amato, Footballer (Kirkop Utd: 1996-present)
|Famous deaths for this day ...|
- 1926 - Domenico Azzopardi, Writer, dies at 46
- 1963 - Joseph Francis Darmanin, Historian, dies at 86
- 1978 - Dominic Gruppetta, Magician/Hypnotist, dies at 80
- 1980 - Emanuel C. Tabone, Politician, dies at 69
- 1996 - Lilian Gasan, Philanthropist, dies at 66
- 2001 - Doreen Micallef, Poet/Writer, dies at 52