|TODAY IN MALTESE HISTORY|
|Produced exclusively for aboutmalta.com by Mario Axiaq |
Contributors: Martin Debattista, Lorraine Duca, Pierre J. Mejlak, Darrell Pace, Amante Sant, Toni Sant
Contact us with your suggestions and comments.
|On this day in history ...|
- 1957 - The American flag is hoisted at Hal Far.
- 1962 - The British Prime Minister's office at the Admiralty House in London announces the appointment of Edward Birkbeck Wakefield as the first British High Commissioner for Malta.
- 1963 - The liners Empress of Canada and Dunera visit Malta with 1,000 tourists on board.
- 1964 - Nineteen warships from the Navies of the USA, Italy, the Netherlands and France eneter the Grand Harbour for operational visits.
- 1966 - The former Prime Minister of Northern Ireland Viscount Brookeborough arrives to visit Carreras of Malta Ltd. as Chairman of Carreras N. Ireland Ltd.
- 1968 - NATO Chief arrives on an official visit to Malta.
- 1972 - No agreement is reached in London over the Military Bases on the Island and Prime Minister Mintoff returns to Malta.
- 1973 - A four-day conference on the financing of education opens at the Malta Hilton in St. Julian's.
- 1974 - Four Maltese journalists leave for a one-week familarisation visit at the Pakistani International Air Lines Complex in Karachi.
- 1975 - An Automatic Telex Exchange agreement is signed between the Malta Government and Italcable of Italy.
- 1975 - The Indian High Commissioer unveils a bust of Mahatma Gandhi at the Peace Laboratory in Hal Far.
- 1979 - Malta puts forward a proposal at the C.S.C.E. meeting of Mediterranean experts for the setting up of a Mediterranean Standing Committee to promote cooperation in the region.
- 1986 - In reply to a Parliamentary Question, Finance Minister Wistin Abela states that the new runway at Luqa Airport has cost Lm9,291,039.
- 1991 - The National Council of Women welcomes a UN convention to eliminate all forms of discrimination.
- 1992 - Michelangelo virus attacks hundreds of computers in Malta.
- 1992 - The MLP lifts its civil disobedience campaign.
- 1992 - Island Sound Radio starts broacasting from studios at Cappuchins Street in Floriana.
- 1995 - The GWU and Air Malta are in dispute over the negotiation of a new collective agreement, and workers are placed on alert for directives.
- 1996 - A civic centre which cost Lm1 million to create is inaugurated in Birkirkara.
|Famous birthdays for this day ...|
- 1898 - Giuseppina Sammut Tagliaferro, Composer/Choreographer
- 1908 - Gorg Pisani, Poet/Writer/Gozitan Public Figure
- 1939 - Freddie Delia, Footballer (Hibernians/Malta)
- 1946 - Colin Apap, Broadcaster/Priest
- 1946 - Joseph Filletti, Judge
- 1948 - Charles Flores, Poet/Journalist/Broadcast Executive
- 1949 - Albert Pearson, Goalkeeper (Sliema Wanderers/Rabat)
- 1954 - Patrick Joseph Schembri, Biologist
- 1979 - Stefan Zahra, Footballer (Lija Athletics)
|Famous deaths for this day ...|
- 1970 - Johnnie Fearne, Footballer, (St George's/Sliema W), dies at 81
- 1971 - Carmel De Lucca, Ornithologist/Entomologist, dies at 60