IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY
Blessed Mother M. Catherine Troiani
Mother M. Catherine Troiani was beatified (proclaimed
by Pope John Paul II on April 14, 1985 at St. Peter's in Rome.
Who are we? Our foundress, Blessed Mother Mary Catherine Troiani, was born
as Costanza Troiani in Giuliano di Roma on January 19, 1813. At the age
of six, orphaned by the death of her mother, she was entrusted to the care
of the Sisters at the Monastery of St. Clare of Charity in Ferentino, close
to Frosinone, south of Rome.
When she was sixteen years old, she became a novice in that same monastery,
wishing to live according to the Rule of St. Clare. A year later, known
as Sister Mary Catherine of St. Rose of Viterbo, she made her first profession
of vows. Among her other duties in the monastery, for many years, she was
responsible for the education of young girls.
In 1835, she became aware that God was calling her to be a missionary to
the people aloong the southern coast of the Mediterranean Sea. When Bishop
Guasco, the Apostolic Vicar of Egypt, invited missionaries to the country,
she was more than ready to accept the challenge.
Thus, on September 14, 1859, when she landed with five Sisters in Cairo,
she began the first female Italian mission in the land of Pharaoh.
Mother Catherine immediately opened a school for children, all children,
without looking at their creed, nationality or social condition. She collaborated
with the anti-slavery movement and dedicated herself to the poor, the suffering
and the abandoned. Very quickly, her poor house in Clot-Bey, district of
Cairo, became a center of practical charity, education and evangelization.
At the end of twenty-eight years of missionary work, during which she opened
many centers of evangelization, Mother M. Catherine died in Clot-Bey, Cairo,
Egypt, on May 6, 1887. Even before her death, she was considered to be
a heroically saintly woman.
In 1967, her mortal remains were transferred from Cairo to Rome. They are
now venerated in the Church of the Generalate of the Congregation she founded,
known today as the Institute of the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the
Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Today, 900 Sisters continue to minister in Egypt, Morocco, West Africa,
Ghana, Italy, Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Palestine, Israel, Iraq, France,
Brazil, U.S.A., China and Malta (Hamrun and Vittoriosa).
For more information contact:
Sr. M. Dorothy Aloisio, FMIHM
St. Jude Convent
420 S. Black Horse Pike
Blackwood, NJ 08012, USA