| Contributing Editor: Martin
Contributors:Sonia Attard, Peter Prictoe, Joseph Vella, Alexander Borg
The Maltese Islands are a group of small, barren rocks, jutting out of the middle of the dark blue Mediterranean sea. In these conditions, they would have been relegated to the footnotes of history. Yet, ever since the archipelago was first colonised thousands of years ago, they have never been far from the centre of events and have often played a crucial role in the making of history. Their strategic situation in the centre of the Mediterranean Sea makes up for all the lack of resources that nature endowed the rest of the globe. Malta, the largest island, and her sister islands of Gozo, Comino, Filfla and other very small islands, are strategically placed in the narrow channel joining the eastern and the western basins of the Mediterranean. Or if you like, a bridge between Southern Europe and North Africa, or between Western Europe and the Middle East. This had landed the Maltese Islands right in the middle of the most important historic events: the wars between Rome and Carthage, the rise of Islam, the Crusades, the wars between Christians and Moslems, the rise and fall of Napoleon, the rise and fall of the British Empire, the fight for democracy against Fascism and Nazism, the Cold War, the rise of a United Europe and the challenges of the Third Millennium.
IN MALTESE HISTORY
A SEPTEMBER TO REMEMBER: SEPTEMBER IN MALTESE HISTORY
OF MALTESE HISTORY
WOMEN GET VOTING RIGHTS IN MALTA
1000 AD - 2000 AD: ONE THOUSAND YEARS OF FORTITUDE
by Martin Debattista
MALTA WITH LOVE
by Peter Prictoe(Yorkshire,
THE LITTLE MOUSE THAT ROARS
by Joseph Vella (Manager
Software Development, Retired, California, USA)
OUR PAST REFLECTS OUR
by Alexander Borg
IN THE MIDDLE AGES
Y A AUSSI DES JUIFS A' MALTE
- MALTA CONTRIBUTION AT GALLIPOLI IN WW I
YANKEE INVASION OF MALTA: 1943
MINN FOMM IL-GURNALI
| RELATED LINKS
Please note that these are not links to pages created
by aboutmalta.com and will open in a new window.
- Aspetti Kulturali
- Promoting cultural heritage, and tourism to historical places around Malta and gozo.
- Antique and medieval atlas of European history from AD 1 to AD 1000.
- Heritage Malta
- Government agency responsible for museums and heritage sites in the Maltese Islands.
- Major Maltese Historical Events in September
- September is an eventful month in Maltese History, with the victorious end of the Great Siege of 1565, the revolt against the French in 1798-1800 and the Italian surrender in World War II.
- Malta Aviation Museum
- An interesting collection of aircraft, aircraft engines, uniforms, aircraft models and other exhibits; situated at an ex-RAF airfield at Ta' Qali.
- Malta Historical Society
- Official site of the Malta Historical Society, includes on line publications 'Melita Historica' and 'Proceedings of History Week'.
- Malta History
- History of the Maltese islands from before the islands where formed up to the present.
- Malta World War II
- Photos taken on Malta in WWII with contact page for veterans & surviving relatives.
- Interactive site of general interest about the Maltese Islands by the Donath Brothers.
- My World War Two
- Autobiographical stories by David J Powis of the invasions of Sicily, Italy, Normandy (D-Day), and the siege on Malta.
- The Malta Experience
- An audio visual experience in Valletta with a complete history of the Maltese Islands.
This site was last updated on 28-Aug-2008 at 06:37:39
© Copyright 2000 - 2009 aboutmalta.com